News & Press
News & Press
Delice Caramel Poached Pear Recipe
Delice Caramel Poached Pear
Recipe created by Izzy Kurtz
Delice Caramel Ingredients:
1 cup water
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup Joseph Phelps Delice
4 Bosc pears
To make the caramel:
1. To make the caramel, you will need a heavy bottom pot, enough to fit 4 pears and caramel sauce.
2. First, put water and then sugar into your pot. Do not stir as this might start crystallization as the sugar and water mixture heats up.
3. On medium to high heat, let the sugar dissolve. The sugar mixture will begin to turn from light brown and then gradually to an amber dark caramel color in 10-15 minutes, depending on the heat level of your stove.
4. Turn off heat and whisk in the room temperature cream and Delice gradually in order to reduce caramel bubbling too much.
5. Add salt.
To make the poached pears:
1. With a kitchen peeler, peel the skin off 4 firm bosc pears.
2. Cut bottoms of pears off and with a melon baller, scoop the seeds out of the pear, leaving each pear whole.
3. Gently place pears into the warm caramel and cook under medium/low heat with lid off. Let cook for approximately 25-30 minutes. When the pears are soft to the touch but still slightly firm, carefully scoop the pears out of the caramel and place directly into a bowl or on a plate.
4. Strain the caramel to rid of any pieces of pear and gently pour your Delice caramel sauce over the poached pears.
5. Enjoy with whipped cream and toasted walnuts or a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a glass of Delice.